Learning & Testing Center
Located in the Schoenherr Campus Center - Second Floor
The Learning and Testing Center provides many resources to help you succeed at West Shore Community College.
Many professors require course tests to be taken in the LTC. Remember, when testing in the LTC, you will be required to show a photo ID and be asked to place all personal items in a locker before entering the testing rooms. We do not allow cell phones, tablets, FitBits or other similar devices within the testing rooms.
Students will find a variety of testing opportunities available, including Accuplacer, CLEP, GED, NOCTI and WorkKeys, to name a few.
The Center includes a computer commons with 20 computers, space for personal notebook use, two testing rooms (one computerized and one traditional) and two classroom/multipurpose rooms, SCC 769 and 772.
The LTC is a relatively quiet study area that is close to the Tutoring Center, Disability Access Services, Writing Center, Math Center, and Supplemental Instruction Office.
Hours of Operation:
Fall Semester: Monday-Thursday 8:00 am--8:00 pm & Friday 8:00 am-3:00 pm
Winter Semester: Monday-Thursday 8:00 am--8:00 pm & Friday 8:00 am-3:00 pm
Summer Semester: Monday & Thursday 11:00 am-7:00 pm, Tuesday & Wednesday 8:00 am-4:00 pm & Friday 8:00 am-3:00 pm
***Please call ahead to schedule an appointment because hours may have occasional changes and specific proctors are certified to administer certain tests.***
Telephone: (231) 843-5528
Test Proctoring for Other Colleges and Universities:
The Center proctors both traditional and on-line tests for other colleges and universities. Testing is arranged on an individual basis through the Center. Students should contact the Center by email or phone to schedule testing prior to arrival. Tests may be mailed, faxed, or emailed (contact information appears below) and should include proctoring information, instructions for returning tests, and, if traditional mail is used, an addressed and stamped return envelope. There is a proctoring fee of $15 per exam administration for non Michigan Community College Virtual Learning Collaborative enrolled students.
Software Available For Use:
- Microsoft Office
- Mediated Learning (Academic Systems Software) - Basic Mathematics/Algebra
- Rosetta Stone - ESL - Language Learning (three levels)
- Tell Me More - ESL - English
- RES 6-14 (Reading Efficiency System) - Reading and Vocabulary
- Grassroots Basic Writing Skills
- Easy Writer - ESL and basic writing skills
- Think & Talk Spanish
- Thayer's Birds of North America (Biology - Ornithology)
- Diet Balancer (Nursing) - Nutrition
- Sometimes, the entire LTC is closed to individual testing as a particular class may be using all of our resources. It is very important that you call ahead to assure that we are able to meet your testing needs.
- Make sure you allow ample time to complete a test. Generally, during Fall and Winter terms we do not start tests after 7 pm Monday - Thursday or after 2 pm on Friday. If you feel you can not complete a test by the published closing time, you must schedule an earlier testing time.
- You must bring a photo ID to the testing center or you will not be allowed to test. If you do not have a photo ID with you please go to Student Services to obtain a waiver form. Student Services is only open until 5pm during the week. After 5pm you must have a photo ID with you in order to test.
- Paper & pencil or computerized testers need to be at the LTC at least one hour before closing time to receive and begin a test. For Accuplacer testing, arrive three hours before closing time. On Fridays, Accuplacer testers must begin their testing before 12 noon.