Opportunity + Growth
Collaborating with businesses throughout the area to provide innovative practices for business excellence is our goal. We are providing access to a wealth of valuable information that focuses on starting and growing small businesses, corporate training opportunities, finding talented workers, career advancement, and entrepreneurship.
Whether you are one of our current business partners or are a community member looking to benefit from our services, we are here to help you. We strive to build a stronger workforce and community for our region through partnerships, outreach, professional and workforce training, career services, facility rentals, academic refreshers and fun classes.
The WSCC Business Opportunity Center is a place where any business – large or small – new or existing – can come to receive training and support. We are committed to planning and promoting full use of college resources to assist individual, business, industry, and community growth through training and education.
All programs are intended to enrich, strengthen, and support those who are not served by the traditional instructional activities of the College. We are focused on the following four areas:
- Training – We develop training in customer specific areas for individuals or groups to help businesses maximize their productivity and profit. We provide training to individuals and companies to improve their general skills, technical skills, and professional knowledge. We are committed to maintaining and growing a quality workforce in our region.
- Economic Development – We partner with the regions economic development organizations to enhance the economic vitality of our community.
- Entrepreneurship – We are a gateway for entrepreneurs to find resources through a single entity, saving them time, frustration and start-up costs.
- Job Placement & Internships -WSCC works with students for both paid & unpaid internships, credit and non-credit internships. We work with the regional business community and WSCC faculty to match students to appropriate opportunities.
- Personal Enrichment – We provide courses to enrich your life through arts and crafts; and cultural and physical improvement.
Contact us at 231-843-5825 to share your ideas or to become an instructor.
Business & Community Education
Educational & Certification Opportunities
West Shore Community College offers several non-credit class options designed to provide certificates needed for business and industry, as well as, professional development courses.
West Shore is offering over 100 classes & 25 certifications – 100% online, through a partnership with YouGotClass, the leading continuing education association in the world, backed by LERN (Learning Resource Network.) A full catalog of classes can be found at the link below. To register, contact Cara Mitchell at email@example.com.
ServSafe is a food and beverage safety training and certificate program administered by the U.S. National Restaurant Association. The program is accredited by ANSI and the Conference for Food Protection. Sanitation certification is required by most restaurants as a basic credential for their management staff. If you are in need of this certificate or would like to register for an upcoming class, please contact Cara Mitchell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Business and Community Education Classes
At this time, on campus, face-to-face, Business and Community Education classes have been suspended. We would be happy to add you to our mailing list to be notified as soon as classes resume. Please email your contact information to email@example.com to be added to our list.
Assistance for Starting or Growing Your Business
The College collaborates with many business and professional groups throughout the area and state to provide innovative direction and best practices for those wishing to start a new business. Through the links below, you will have access to a wealth of valuable information that focuses on starting and growing small businesses, training opportunities, local business incubators, loan and granting opportunities, and entrepreneurship.
- Virtual Business Incubator e-merge
- How to Start a Business in Michigan
- Northern Initiatives
- Mid-Michigan Innovation Center
- Entrepreneurship Guide for MBA Students
- Business Resource for Enterpreneurs with a Disability
Local Government Business Assistance:
Michigan Governmental Business Assistance:
Hands on Business Incubation Centers:
Local Chambers of Commerce:
- Manistee Area Chamber of Commerce
- Ludington & Scottville Chamber of Commerce
- Hart Chamber of Commerce
- Pentwater Chamber of Commerce
- Lake County
Small Business Loans, Grants, and Angel Investment:
National Entrepreneural Assistance and Inspiration:
For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact Crystal Young, Director – Business Opportunity Center at 231.843.5731 or firstname.lastname@example.org.