Dual Enrollment FAQ

Dual Enrollment

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Dual Enrollment?

Dual Enrollment is a provision enacted by the State of Michigan’s Postsecondary Enrollment Options Act. The Act established eligibility criteria that enable certain high school students to enroll in college courses during the regular academic year while in high school.

Who is eligible for Dual Enrollment?

You may be considered for Dual Enrollment if you are:

  • A high school student

  • Enrolled in at least one high school course

  • Have taken and achieved a qualifying score in:

    • All subject areas of the Michigan Merit Exam or other state approved readiness assessment OR

    • In the subject area of the eligible course a student would like to take OR

    • State endorsement is not required in any specific area for participation in subject areas for which there are no endorsements such as history, political science, psychology, computer science or foreign language as long as they have taken all sections of the MME,ACT PLAN, or College Board PSAT.

How many college courses can I take?

You must be enrolled in a least one high school course. The decision over the number and type of college courses elected needs to be a discussion between your high school counselor, your parent(s)/guardian and you. You will want to balance a successful high school and college experience.

Which courses qualify for Dual Enrollment?

Courses that qualify for dual enrollment are:

  • Not offered by the school district

  • Offered but not available to the student because of a scheduling conflict as determined by the Board of the school district.

  • Academic in nature as opposed to an activity course

  • Not physical education, theology, divinity or religious education

  • Apply toward West Shore Community College graduation requirements.

When can I take college courses?

You may take courses during your normal academic year to qualify under the Dual Enrollment option where the school district covers the tuition and fees. You may take courses in the day, afternoon or evening. Also, you may elect to take courses on your own during a session not during the normal academic year, such as, the summer session. However, you may be responsible for the costs of these courses that do not occur during the normal academic year.

What happens if I don’t complete or even fail my college course?

If you fail or do not complete a college course, and that course was meant to fulfill high school graduation requirements, you could seriously jeopardize your graduation status.  You may also have difficulty obtaining scholarships or financial aid for college. Additionally, failed college courses are officially noted as an “F”. You would have to retake the course at West Shore and obtain a passing grade to replace the “F”.

Can I just not go to class and the college will know I don’t want to take/finish class?

No, you will receive an “F” if you do not officially withdraw from a class. In addition, the school district must still pay for all tuition and fees if you fail to complete the course unless you withdraw by the last day to drop for a 100% refund. After the last day to drop, you must withdraw by completing a change of schedule form available in the Student Services Office and your High School Counselor’s office. The date the form is received will determine your refund (for the school) and withdrawal status. The deadline to withdraw is published each year on the academic calendar.

Can I take classes on my own that my high school will not pay for?

Yes, however, you may have to take them on your own time as well. Speak to your high school counselor and parent about this option. High school and parent signatures are still required for these courses.

Check out the Michigan Department of Education Dual Enrollment FAQ