Transfer Credit Policy

You are here now : West Shore Community College / About WSCC / Student Disclosures / Transfer Credit Policy

Transferring to West Shore

The Technical Preparation Partnership between the Mason- Lake and Oceana Intermediate School District and West Shore Community College is designed to bring into focus the integral relationship between education and employment. The program provides high school students, who are interested in pursuing career and technical training, an opportunity to gain future college credit while still attending high school. By consulting with a high school counselor, completing an articulated program and graduating from high school, a student can get a head start on the necessary training in a career field of their choice.

Areas of opportunity include Welding, CAD, Criminal Justice, Hospitality Management, Allied Health, Computer Information Systems, Computerized Multimedia Accounting and Office Information Systems, Marketing, Graphic Arts, Automotive, Construction Trades, and Advanced Manufacturing/Pre-Engineering.


Advanced Placement (AP) Test Credit: WSCC will grant credit to students who earn the required score on those exams listed in the College’s catalog. For a transcript call

(888)225-5427. WSCC’s code is 1941. An official transcript from the College Board is required.  Please refer to the online College Catalog for a complete list of all AP credit options and required scores.


Child Development Associate Credential (CDA): Students who have earned the CDA and who are enrolled in the AAAS in Early Childhood Education & Child Care program may receive credit for TCHC 120 and TCHC 121, upon approval of the program coordinator. A copy of the CDA is required and/ or an official transcript, dependent upon whether the training was through credit coursework.  The CDA test is given at the Learning and Testing Center (LTC).  Prior online registration is required at  A proctor fee is also assessed by WSCC.


CLEP Test Credit: West Shore Community College is a National-Open CLEP Center.  Computer-based CLEP exams are administered in the Learning and Testing Center (LTC).  Students wishing to complete CLEP exams and apply credit toward a WSCC degree should contact the LTC for more information.  Students demonstrating competency on CLEP and/or advanced placement examinations may recieve up to a maximum of 12 semester hours of credit toward a WSCC degree or certificate.  Non-WSCC students should contact their college or univeristy for information on applying CLEP credit toward their degree program prior to scheduling an examination through WSCC.  A CLEP test fee (payable online at time of registration), as well as a WSCC proctor fee (payable at the Testing Center), is assessed for these exams.  To request a transcript call (888) 225- 5427 or download a request form at www.collegeboard/CLEP. WSCC’s code is 1941. An official transcript from the College Board is required.


Competency Based Education (CBE): A maximum of twelve (12) credits may be earned through competency testing.  Competency tests include Departmental Exams, evidence of proficiency, and CTE articulated credit.


Council for Higher Education Accreditation:


Credit from Postsecondary Institutions: Transfer credit is granted for courses with a grade of “C” or higher from institutions that are regionally or nationally accredited. Credit may be granted from other institutions that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. An official copy of the transcript is required.


DANTES/Excelsior College Examination Credit: Credit may be granted upon departmental approval. An official transcript is required.

Department of Education:

Military Credit: Students can recieve academic credit for training received while in the military.  The college awards college credit for certain categories of miliatry training based on recommendations from the American Council on Education (ACE).  Students must submit an official transcript from the applicable branch of the service. For transcripts go to:

Scroll to Military Registries for links to all branches.


MI Basic Police Training Credit (MCOLES): Students who have completed the MCOLES program and who are eligible to earn the Associate Degree or Two-Year Certificate in General Studies may be granted up to 26 CRJ credits, dependent upon the approval of the Director of Criminal Justice. A copy of the licensing card is required.


MI Department of Corrections Academy Credit: Students who have completed the Academy and who are eligible to earn the AAAS in Corrections may receive credit for CRJ 207 and 208; COR 210, 214, 215, and 223; and ALH 118. A copy of the Department of Corrections Certificate of Completion and the Training Department Memorandum, and the student’s Application for Graduation are required.


Michigan Sheriffs’ Coordinating and Training Council (MSCTC) Academy Credit: Students who have completed the 160-hour MSCTC academy and who are eligible to earn the AAAS in Corrections may receive credit for CRJ 208, COR 223 and ALH 118. Proof of completing the academy, and the student’s Application for Graduation, are required.


State/National Licensure: Students who are current licensed practical nurses and who are accepted into the AAAS Nursing program may receive 38 credits toward the program. A copy of the nursing license is required.


Career & Technical Education (CTE) to Credit: Students who complete a program offered by an Educational / Intermediate School District for which WSCC has articulation agreements and who pass the end of program exam and who enroll at WSCC within one year of graduation from high school are granted credit for courses articulated by the ESD / ISD and WSCC. A listing of these courses is available in the Student Records Office or the Tech Prep administration office.

Official transcripts and/or other required documentation are to be submitted to the Student Records Office. Refer questions to or (231) 843-5510.


Accreditation Associations

West Shore accepts transfer credits from institutions which are accredited by any of the following organizations: Association of Independent Colleges and Schools, Higher Learning Commission, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Colleges and Schools, Northwest Association of College and Schools, and Western Association of Colleges and Schools.